Originally Posted by sittin pretty
he may only be eligible for K in 2010 (not 1st as we'd hoped). In our area, gifted programming/accommodations don't occur until 1st grade at the earliest. My gut feeling is that DS will suffer greatly in a regular K classroom (almost all schools are full-day).

At a playgroup this weekend, all of the (ND-MG) parents kept telling me how he'd be fine in a classroom and that I'm silly for even being concerned about his placement. They thought I was crazy for considering 1st next year. I felt really ganged-up on and misunderstood. cry Basically, this is a vent, a need for understanding (from all of you who "get it") and a simple question- is a regular K class working for anyone?

Hey Sittin!
Those momenents are so hard. So many people told me not to be so intense. I wish I had know that this was a great opportunity to understand what my son would have to face on a daily basis in a ND environment. K, especially half day, can be 'ok' for some kids, depending on their personality. If they are flexible, calm, able to intuit what adults want, and motivated to provide it. Although I'm not sure that just because a child is behaving, (which is good) that they aren't giving up 'too much' and in for trouble later. That wasn't my son's personality, and being in 'enemy territory' just seemed to intensify those aspects of his personality.

Having said all that, the preschool teachers and Kindy teachers seem more comfortable with meeting children where they are in general, as children's development is so 'all over the place' at these ages. A great teacher, in good conditions can give a child a wonderful year.

Seems to me that if you are enjoying homeschooling, and can afford to continue for another year, what harm can there be to keep going? I'm also wondering what they provide for gifted 1st graders, if it's a self contained classroom, and they try to get similar LOG kids together, then that is something to look forward to. If it's pretesting and subject acceleration, that can be great too. If it's sodoku or making YouTube videos during an hour a week pull out, and your child is beyond MG, then I wouldn't waste my emotional energy looking forward to it.

Tangent Ahead:
A gifted teacher told me once, about her pull out program, that 'all these kids really need is a chance to be together, and it practically doesn't matter what curriculum I draw up for them - they just thrive in each other's company!'

I interpreted that to mean that if the child is MG, and 'almost fine' in the classroom in the first place, that they would really enjoy her program. I interpreted that to mean that she had never really experienced a HG or PG kid who 'burned to learn.' Our district did away with gifted pull out programs about 10 years ago as a cost saving measure. After that conversation, I gave up resenting that there was no pull out in our district.

Anyway - I'm glad you can come here and vent! Yippee!
Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com