Thanks, MsFriz. The frustrating thing about being the grandmother of a gifted child is that you can only research, make suggestions to the mother (very carefully), and worry. Of course, the other problem here is that I love being able to be with GD so much, but I have to be the one to make sure her homework is done and other day-to-day activities rather than just be a supportive GM. So I guess I'm more involved daily than some GM's. My GD5 has been very intense and sensitive since the day she was born. When she taught herself to read at age 3 and began reading everything in sight, I started wondering if she was Gifted. My research led me to believe that a lot of her intensity etc. was related to her being gifted. Her Pre-K teachers thought it odd that she would be extremely upset about another child being left behind etc. (early empathy) They realized she could read the instructions on her worksheets but only wanted her not to scribble on the edges after she finished them. She also wanted to answer all the questions and had trouble sitting still. Later in the year GD did not want to participate in singing the abc's, counting to 40 etc. repetitively. She would get in trouble for the above and would end up in meltdowns if sent to time out or told to move her behavior clip too many times for behaviors. The school psychologist tested her and found she was >99.9 percentile on achievement tests, could read at a minimum of 3rd grade level (was not prepared to test higher), scored between 96-99.9 on a brief IQ test. The psy. thought she was mostly bored and made suggestions - none of which the teachers agreed to follow.

Anyway, we hoped Kindergarten would be better. GD5 has a very experienced teacher (28 yrs teaching) who is now trying to understand her and work with her after a rough start (due to typical bored behaviors). However, she has had a few meltdowns/tantrums mostly outside the classroom when forced to do something that frightened her (such as go into gym for PE with pics of skeletons (for health)on the wall). The school admin. is not interested in her intelligence, only her behavior. The teacher has not even tested the kids for reading levels yet (11 weeks into school) although she knows GD is advanced. She is expected to sit attentively while they learn their letters/sounds, days of the week etc., practice recognizing patterns for math etc.

She missed the gifted screening pre-test given to Kindergartners because they decided to have the asst. principal take her out of her classroom to a room full of BOYS (big deal for her right now) instead of leaving her with her class. They did not understand why GD got upset when the Asst. Principal (who is the one who has taken her to the office when she got upset previously) took her from her class to this new room. She did not understand why she was in trouble and being taken away. Her teacher felt terrible because she was pushed into letting GD not taking test in her room. Don't know how or when they will take her out again to make up the test.

I realize this is way too long but I guess I needed to vent. Thanks for the opportunity.