Thanks for the sympathy, friends! smile

E&W, I agree that if K is the "learn to read" year where you are (and your child is already reading), then you may have some trouble, depending upon the personality of your child. If not, if it's more like preschool, you'll probably be fine. no academics is better than the wrong academics.

FWIW, my DYS kid did fine in a half-day K class with a teacher who "got" him and did her best to challenge him. If it had a been a full-day class or a bad teacher for him, I don't think it would have gone so well.

It wasn't until full-day 1st grade (our "learn-to-read" year) with a teacher who was uncomfortable with GT kids and refused to differentiate that our DYS kid had trouble.

I'll add, though, that if there's a good GT program in your school and you have a child who just misses the mark to be in the program, that can make for a rough time even for a ND+ child. I have a friend with a DD who has about a 120 IQ, and that seems like an accurate assessment, both to the mom and to me. The DD didn't qualify for any GT services, and she was MISERABLE in public school. Her parents finally pulled her out for one of the more rigorous private schools in our area, hoping that would better meet her needs.

As a personal note, I'm having the same worries about my DS5, whose LOG is not clear to me, if he's GT at all (or 2E, or...). So, yeah, I'm right there with you!

Kriston