I'm joining in here with another kindergartener. DS5 will be six in a month. He's going to a charter school, it does not have a gifted program but is set up more to handle a wide range of abilities. It's an all day program, which I'm nervous about, but the school seemed to be a better choice. He hasn't been assessed but has a lot of the traits, he reads well, understands things quickly, he's been obsessed with the Magic School Bus for two years now. The administrator of his preschool felt strongly that he is gifted.

My biggest concern is his perfectionism. If he can't do something instantly he either gets frustrated or goofy and quits. He sticks to what he knows and is reluctant to move past it. I've questioned my judgment about him being gifted, maybe I'm trying to see something that isn't there, because it seems like avoiding a challenge is so atypical of a gifted child. It is there though, I see it in a lot of different ways, he just rebels when he knows he's being challenged.

I'm glad I found all of you and hope to learn and contribute. I'm fortunate that IRL most people who know him see what I'm talking about and will bring it up to me. I've had some smart aleck comments though if I mention gifted education. Online I belong to a parenting board and I don't like to bring it up there, too many people think it's all about the parent seeing something they want. They don't understand that I wouldn't choose to have his schooling be harder.

Last edited by Kareninminn; 08/15/09 04:02 PM.