I'd love to join in the discussion.

DD5, my oldest, is starting in K mid-August. We are going in on Monday for her kindergarten assessment. DD goes to a private, gifted school (she went there for most of pre-school as well) and this is considered the first "academic" year. The assessment should be for placement in math and reading groups.

I'm trying not to think too much about the assessment, but I do have some secret fears that dd will throw the whole thing by being silly or refusing to cooperate. By my best guess, she is quite capable of doing 3rd grade math and reading at that level or beyond. But sometimes she feels like doing it and other times she says, "Oh, I wasn't thinking with that part of my brain." crazy Sometimes she refuses to count accurately, yet I know she can multiply, divide, add fractions, etc. I know that she will eventually find her way into the correct grouping (even she can't hide her abilities all year), but it would make life so much easier if she just started out in the right one.

I feel like we're making a big sacrifice by spending so much money to send her to this school because it's supposed to make life easier. So she can be with peers her age but learn at whatever grade level she needs. So now it's time for the school to step up to the plate ... and I'm praying no one is disappointed.

Wow, guess I was more stressed about it than I thought. Thanks for letting me vent. I love this board smile