I'm so sorry, Jamie! frown

Originally Posted by sittin pretty
I am enjoying homeschooling but I'm a little worried that another year at home (with his pacing), will put him so far out of the school league that he'll never be able to go back. His internal drive coupled with the time at home is a pace that a school could never match. (Is it sad that I want him to go to school to slow him down??)

It is a real possibility that your child will outpace school to the point that it will be hard to get him to fit in. The question we had to answer for our DS when we realized this was happening was "Does that mean he is better served outside of a standard bricks-and-mortar school?"

The common wisdom around this forum tends to be that you can only make fairly short-term (6 months to a year) decisions for HG+ kids. Things change too fast to know what life will be like 5 years or even two years down the road. That's not to say that you shouldn't consider the ramifications of your actions, but to realize that considering ramifications and making decisions based solely on some fear of the future are two different things. You can't know what you don't know, so you might as well work with the here and now as much as possible.

Yes, your DS is probably getting ahead. Is that a bad thing? Is that perhaps just an indication that you've found a better solution for him?

I don't know the answers there. If you want to go back to work or something, then homeschooling may not be a workable long-term solution for you, and that's got to factor into the decision! But our main reasons for choosing to homeschool DS8 long-term were 1) to slow him down (by going deeper and wider instead of just/mostly faster through the standard curriculum) so we didn't have to choose multiple grade-skips which didn't seem like they would suit his style of working, and 2)because our first foray into homeschooling was so successful for him.

No pressure here. The full-time GT program sounds like it could a be a GREAT option. But I think that if homeschooling is working for you and your child, you might want to at least consider sticking with it and dumping the "How will he fit back into school?" thing entirely. FWIW, we gave up on that after about 6 months of homeschooling. We decided that if we can't find a school to fit him--instead of finding a way to fit him into a school--then he'll just keep homeschooling.

Kriston