Originally Posted by shellymos
I liked when the principal said that she expects my 5yo son (who just turned 5 a couple months ago) to let them know that he is not being challenged and tell them what he needs. The psychologist and I looked at eachother and then back at her and said "he is telling you that through his behavior" Now he would easily be able to verbally tell them or nonverbally write it (that is our new plan) but only if something would actually happen. Clearly all of the papers will indicate that work is too easy...but then what? Is he actually given harder work because they said they don't even know what to give him.

About the boredom, I read an article recently that talked about how adults get bored but are able to deal with that boredom productively. They can take breaks, and they know it won't last forever and can do other things to deal with the boredom. Kids don't have all those resouces and time stands still. Which is why they have to do things to stimulate themselves and keep their mind going (which is often looked at as behavioral problems).

And about finding more ways to deal with the boredom, DS asked in response to his 6 colored behavior system...what if I get worse than the last color, what happens then? Uhhh...let's not even go there.
He's only 5. I just don't see any way for him to tell them what he needs or even that he's bored. They should look at his behavior and be able to tell.