Originally Posted by Kriston
DS8 who was not skipped had the same sorts of trouble in 1st grade with discipline issues, Shelly. For him it was about frustration and boredom. frown

Update on my DS5: he is starting to talk negatively about K. *sigh* I'm encouraging him to talk specifically about what's bothering him even as I tell him that school is not optional and remind him that he has been telling me he's having a good time. So what's changed? It's not an easy balance. I don't want him to give up for no reason. But I also don't want him to be in an ill-fitting situation. And I don't want my concerns to influence how he feels about school. It's hard!

He's also started doing 4-digit multiplication (with 0s in the 10s and 1s places) in his head without being taught. eek He's fascinated by time, so he's figuring out how many seconds are in X minutes. He got 13 minutes correct, which surprised me since 13x60 seemed like a pretty tough problem, so I asked him to do one out loud--22 minutes--to let me hear how he was thinking it through. I realized that he was multiplying 20x60 and 2x60 and adding them together.

The way he has leapt ahead in math is really shocking to me. To be honest, even though I already have one HG+ child, the sudden onset of this math ability and intense interest for DS5 is freaking me out.

To make matters worse, I'm sure the teacher has no idea yet. They have yet to even count in class. It's a challenge...
Wow! That's so great that he's able to do those problems in his head!!! How is his school for giving him more advanced classwork?