Originally Posted by shellymos
That can be because of his interest level or that could also be a symptom of a child with ADHD because they don't just not focus, they tend to hyperfocus and focus very well on certain activities.

I'm a little skeptical about the hyperfocus argument to discern between gifted and ADHD. Here's why - Lots of the books on ADHD are written by physicians who have ADHD. They are aware that they have ADHD and take about the pluses and minuses. Would you think that most physicians are also gifted, at least moderately gifted? Some are probably Highly gifted or more, and we can think of them as successful 2E's who's ultra high gifts 'cancel out' their disabilities, with hard work and luck. So when these experts who are still in denial about their giftedness (like other 2E's they spend a lot of time feeling stupid, particularly in comparison to their friends, and college and medical school buddies) say that they used 'hyperfocus' to get them through med school, I think that they used their 'gifted intensity' to get them through med school, and are attributing their strengths to the only label that they have to explain their success.

I mean, if anyone has research statistics about 'hyperfocus' in kids with ADHD of average IQ (in families with siblings of average IQ) I would love to see those statistics, until then, forgive me if I remain close minded.

But Jamie, I still think that the 'not being able to get words out' is worrisome. 5 minute attention span at age 5 - that might be age appropriate, I just have no idea. Will the school believe you if you have a dr. report that says 'no ADHD.' We had one that said 'Nonverbal learning disorder' but not ADHD, and the school told us that we were wrong. It was mind-boggling. Best Wishes,
Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com