Originally Posted by kimck
Wow Kriston - he sure sound like my DS9 at that age (the social thing carries through to now). The extroverted social homebody that is crazy good at math. Watch for a wild leap in reading! laugh

This is good to hear. It all seems like such a strange mix to me that it's nice to hear that he's not the only one. Thanks for that! I don't know why that makes me less anxious for him, but it does. smile

BTW, there is a downside of his social giftedness, as there seems to be with most forms of GTness. Not only is he hypersensitive emotionally, but also if someone often seems mean--especially kids who have emotional problems that lead them to lash out at others or to behave inappropritely for an ND child--DS5 takes an instant dislike to them. He's been in a couple of classes with kids who had real, diagnosed problems, and DS5 was very unforgiving of them, regardless of how I explained it to him. We're working on it, but he's definitely not the kid who should be placed to help the kid with social problems! That would be such a disaster!

The only thing I can figure about 1st grade is that it's often the first year for full-day class, it's much more "sit at your desk and work" than previous years, and it's often the "learn to read" year. For an active 6yo, that's a lot to handle.

Kriston