Originally Posted by Kriston
E&W, I agree that if K is the "learn to read" year where you are (and your child is already reading), then you may have some trouble, depending upon the personality of your child.

It is the "learn to read" year. The trouble is, he is starting to read, but he is not fluent and does not have a lot of confidence. I will ask him to read a word or very short sentence and he will say "I don't know" or "I can't" and then once I get him to try, he can do it. Sometimes with mistakes and sometimes prettty accurately. I have read on this board that is typical: doesn't want to try if he can't do it perfectly (I struggled with this and still do)

So as you and the others have said personality and fit with the teacher is going to be huge. DS ranges all the way from compliant/cooperative to defiant/ornery. most of the time he is laid back and go with the flow. BUT, that is when he is comfortable and around people who "get" him. I could totally see him going into class-clown for attention mode, or worse.

Mrs Teacher seems like she is used to doing things her way. And has been doing it a long time. It is early in the school year (day 2), but my first impression is that she is not predisposed to accomodate for each kid and is not likely to since she has 25 instead of her usual 20.

I'll add, though, that if there's a good GT program in your school and you have a child who just misses the mark to be in the program, that can make for a rough time even for a ND+ child. I have a friend with a DD who has about a 120 IQ, and that seems like an accurate assessment, both to the mom and to me. The DD didn't qualify for any GT services, and she was MISERABLE in public school. Her parents finally pulled her out for one of the more rigorous private schools in our area, hoping that would better meet her needs.
This exactly describes what I am worried about. that he is in the 120-129 range; will miss the cutoffs for official GT programs; ed needs won't warrant a skip but needs still won't be met...

I will just have to work towards a different academic environment altogether once we move.

As a personal note, I'm having the same worries about my DS5, whose LOG is not clear to me, if he's GT at all (or 2E, or...). So, yeah, I'm right there with you!
VERY glad to have the company!!!