Originally Posted by Kriston
I'm sorry for his troubles, but maybe the situation can now change for the better? Sometimes things have to get to a certain (low) point before they can improve, you know? At least they did for us.
Us too! Things definitely hit a few lows this year...and things are going really well now. Hopefully Karen this will be a turning point and things will improve!
Originally Posted by Jamie B
Another thing that I've noticed that I don't like at all is some regression. When he reads the books that are sent home for homework he sounds out every single word where before he was reading fluently. When he reads other books he does just fine but I guess the teacher is making them sound the words out (dog, sad) and it's causing confusion for him. They're also working on patterns and he's been able to do patterns in his head since he was a baby. Now they have to do some sort of clapping/letter thing (I'm not sure how to explain it) to figure out what comes next in the pattern and that's throwing him off. When I tell him not to do that he does just fine.

This can be quite confusing Jamie. DS5 was reading well before he was 2. He never learned any strange rules to reading...but can read anything now and somehow just always knew the rules to everything. One day he was reading and reading very slow and choppy and I couldn't figure out what he was doing...I just told him to read normally and he did. But he has also talked to me about tapping out words, and the "th brothers" and "bossy R" and all those rules and ways they help kids read. I think it really can be confusing if you already know how to read. If there were difficult words he couldn't sound out then that may help...but that has never been an issue. Thankfully he doesn't bring home those books and they don't have him work on any of that. They say they let him skip all that...hopefully they are, but he still picks up on all the talk about it in the classroom. Hopefully they should be able to sort through it all and figure it out...DS hasn't been talking about it much lately which is good.