Originally Posted by shellymos
Originally Posted by Grinity
...These are things he would do over and over, just once in a while, I would see signs of intensity/perfectionism that look like 'hyperfocus' to others.

Does that fit your experience?
Thanks,
Grinity

Nope, that is entirely different than what I was referring to. : )

There are so many factors to look into. I hope no one was offended by what I said, it was just my experience. I realize that it is definitely misdiagnosed at times. I was just pointing out that hyperfocusing can be a symptom of ADHD.
I'm not at all offended! It's not your fault that the athority figures in my life are taking liberties with the phrase 'hyperfocus' and expanding it to mean much more than 'lost in TV or Videogames' \

I also sort of remember one of these 2E gifted experts saying that he used 'hyperfocus' to help him get through Medical School. That really sent my 'denial alarms' off and I wanted to throw the book across the floor. I wish I could get the reference for you, but I was so fired up that it's sort of a fuzzy memory. Maybe it was Delivered from Distraction? Can anyone help me out here? So I think that perhaps it's not just a local problem.

In the long run, there may be something like PG/ADHD that is a seperate entity all on it's own. My DS13 has said that in his opinion all the Davidson boys (present company excluded) have ADHD. I think this in one of those situations where his lack of experience is leading him to an incorrect conclusion, but Gifted Intensity can sure make a kid look 'weird' to a child who has internalized 'kid standards' and 'school standards.' Frankly I'm thrilled that my DS13 has the abilty to internalize that set of values, even though I don't appreciate all of those values. But no, shellymos, I'm not offended by you. And I'm actually not offended by our dear 2E ADHD experts who are still in the dark about giftedness. Afterall, I was totally in the dark about giftedness for my first 40 years of life!

Love and More Love,
Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com