Kareninminn - GD5 has recently started (occasionally)refusing to do work - mostly simple Kindergarten math worksheets in class. Their answer - send her to the assistant principle's office or detention class for "defiance". I think the teacher is under orders from admin. to call if GD refuses to do anything at all. I think GD is finally just at a level of frustration that she almost doesn't care. I do know she needs to do what the teacher tells her to in class & I have been working on explaining to her how much better her days would be if she would listen and follow directions. However, the school could make some attempt to challenge her and I bet the behavior problems would improve dramatically. Hopefully, your DS's school will respond much more positively at some point.

JamieB - Last year in PK GD5 started telling us 4 yr. olds can't read (though she's been reading since age 3). The teachers told them to just look at the books and she took it literally. It took us some time to assure her she should continue to actually read her books. GD has never really sounded out words so I know hearing that in class every day must be confusing. Earlier this year in K the teacher told them (& parents) to write in their journals just putting down sounds they heard - even 1 letter was OK. Since GD hates to write, she took the easy way & put 1 or 2 letters down. THEN the teacher told DD that GD was capable of much more and should be writing whole words! GD is doing much better at this now but - confusing signals from teachers.

Hang in there and let us know how things go.