Originally Posted by Irisheyes
I've enjoyed reading everyone's posts. Keep 'em coming!

I wanted to update you on our situation.

As you may remember, dd5 is in a private, gifted school.

I had great fears over the summer that dd would be silly or otherwise "throw" the kindergarten placement screening. It appears my fears were unfounded.

The differentiation has already begun in reading and math. All I know is that she is in the "most challenging" math group according to her teacher. And that her reading group consists of only two children (there are six different, ability-grouped reading groups in her class of 20 kids). We got a note from the teacher saying while other parents may be discussing sight word lists, there was no need to send any home for dd5 because she was, "...reading above the 2nd grade level." So that seems promising.

Honestly, I'm not 100% sure that dd is being "challenged" yet. I think she can do more than she's being asked to in both reading and math. But she seems happy and since we're less than a month into the school year, so am I.
That's so good that the teacher at least realizes that your daughter is way above the normal level. And it's great that she's happy smile