Hi everyone,

Thought I'd give you a quick update. It's been a harrowing week or so. Finally got DS6's report card after I posted last and surprise, surprise ... the teacher put the wrong reading level on the report card. Had to double back in e-mail with teacher and figure out what the problem was. She blamed it on her rush to get report cards out. Also, teacher put him as fully proficient in all of kindergarten except for 3 categories involving reading comprehension -- kinda funny considering she assessed him as reading at a 3rd grade level!

Teacher said she'd correct report card. Went in today for P-T conference, and report card was technically correct, saying he's reading above grade level. Unfortunately, we'd discussed the need to put his ACTUAL reading level on the report card particularly b/c of the magnet program application (the same one as DC Dad, by the way!). Sigh. Also, I hadn't been getting any of the math unit assessments all year, so finally saw those for the first time.

Rest of conversation with teacher actually went pretty well -- talked about his strengths and weaknesses and what he needs to work on next. Saw his writing and realized that she's not pushing him to do nearly as much as he can. There were some days he was home with me and his writing journal shows several sentences. Meanwhile, in class he only writes one sentence. That might be a function of time or it might be that I prod him to go farther than the teacher.

Teacher also made big point of how he's socially still 6. Seemed like she was trying to pre-empt any request by us to grade skip.