They're not giving him anything more advanced right now, Jamie. In fairness, I haven't asked them to yet. I'm trying to give them a chance to settle in. I know from DS8's experiences that they won't do anything different for the first 6 weeks at least, regardless of what I tell them. I did mention where he was in arithmetic in my introductory letter to the teacher that they ask us to write.

It's only half-day K--less than 3 hours, with one recess in there--so it should be okay for a few weeks, I think. We do allow DS5 to afterschool as needed, though it's definitely all child-driven, like those math problems. At most I say, "Would you like me to give you a problem?" If he says no, then I'm fine with not doing anything.

Frankly, knowing our school system, I'm probably not going to advocate much. I'm not good at advocacy and I know the school won't go far enough even if I do advocate. (BTDT, seen others who have BTDT, know it's not worth it to bang my head against that wall at our school if he's really HG+... If he's MG, it could be worth it. HG+, no.) I'd just homeschool. It would be easier on everyone.

JJsMom: DS5 is usually VERY open about things that bother him (or make him happy). In pre-K, he would tell me little stuff that had happened and I'd tell the other moms, who had no idea. Soon the moms started coming to me to ask about things that had happened because DS5's reports were so accurate. He's my little heavy-on-feeling extrovert. Nothing is secret or unspeakable. He tells all! wink

So if there's something specific that's wrong, I think he'll say so. He has friends, he likes the bus ride (VERY short! He's the last one on and the first one off in the afternoon!). I've heard no specific problems. That's why I'm not too worried yet. I suspect he's being told to sit still and be quiet and he doesn't love that. But he needs that at this point, so I don't have a problem with it if that's what's happening. Boredom would be a different issue.

SPG: Yup, I think I've been suddenly and irrevocably jolted out of my GT denial re: DS5! blush But in my defense, this math stuff really has been a big and sudden change. Maybe 10 months ago, he could count and that's about it. Multi-digit multiplication was not on my radar until this week, and he's mastering it. In his head! Like BAM! crazy It's like it just all clicked and he's jumped WAY ahead! It's pretty amazing/crazy/frightening/exciting to see happen. I'm definitely still trying to come to grips with it...

Still no reading though. I'm still wondering if he's got some LD or visual issue (he's seeing the behavioral opthamologist in a couple of weeks) or if this is just another "nothing until he's ready, and then mastery in a matter of minutes" things, like writing and arithmetic were for him. I'm not sure.

Kriston