Alright folks. I could use some advice. DS5 is happy with K and his teacher and he doesn't misbehave when he's bored. But the work he brings home from school is unbelievably basic ... tracing 1-5 and gluing them next to pictures. Identifying top, middle and bottom. You get the picture. I've asked him if he's read anything to his teacher yet (it is week 3, after all). His answer: No. She hasn't asked me to. Then, he tells me that another little boy told him that 5-year-olds don't read yet. I heard DS5 tell another child yesterday afterschool that he could count to 1 million, and the child told DS5 that he didn't believe him.

None of this bothers my very mellow boy (other than he did tell me that he's tired of doing such easy work). Of course, it's all driving me nuts!

So, do I keep waiting for them to assess him? A former K teacher tells me that once they assess him, they should automatically move him to 1st grade for reading without me asking. I'd rather not fully grade skip him, but am wondering if I'm making the right decision. How would you handle it?