Originally Posted by CourtneyB
Hi I hope it's not too late to join in here smile

I *think* I read through most of this post and there were several times where I wanted to quote someone and say 'That's exactly like my son!'

We're not really sure what to do at this point. My DS5 was tested by the school district (not his current one) at age 3 for adhd, eye contact, behavior issues. The ultimate outcome was that he is very very bright possibly gifted (showed as gifted on the DAS-II test but we are keeping in mind he was only 3) and 3, lol. Most of the behavior issues have improved with age - I think it was just really hard to place the behavior with the intelligence as they just don't go together well.

He is in 1/2 day K and we love his teacher, but he is definitely not learning in class. She has him doing some 1st grade work when his group is in phonics since he is already reading, but even that is too easy and it's only in reading that he gets anything 'harder'. It's very hard to see his work come home and they are learning the numbers 0-5 - she knows he can 'do math' but is limited on what she can do.
My biggest issue - actually only issue, since he is learning to adjust to school and all - is homework. He still HAS to do the K homework, we also send in any completed 1st grade reading/math stuff we do as well but I hate that I have to make him sit and color --- he HATES to color.

I have a message in with the principal hoping we can come up with a game plan for next year at least that doesn't leave him bored and being a troublemaker. I won't feel ok with making him do extra work at home next year when he'll be in school all day already. They don't offer GATE until 3rd grade and even then I think it's all after school stuff anyways so wouldn't help during the school day at all. I'm thinking of requesting they test him now and if they can't/won't we'll do it on our own instead.

I'm super jealous of some of you since you have schools that seem to deal with advanced kids quite nicely. I will probably be taking some suggestions in to his teacher on Wed when I help in class smile
Have you talked to the teacher about giving him more advanced work or did she do it on her own?

I'm having the same issues as you where my son is bored but right now they won't do anything for him because of his behavior. They said they were going to give him some 1st grade work in class but what it's turned into is 1st grade (and Kindergarten) work at home so some nights we're doing over an hour of homework.

My son does things to make his homework more fun. Instead of counting normally he'll count by 2s or 5s or 10s. When he has to write his name he'll write it and make patterns out of the letters. I guess that's hard to know what I'm talking about without seeing it smile I do supplement some at home but with all of the homework that he's been having lately I hate giving him more stuff to do.

You should talk to the principal or teacher and see what they think about moving him to a higher grade at least for some of his subjects.