I'll join the discussion as my DD5 is going into K (or extended day as they call it in Montessori) this year. She has not been tested yet and seems so different than her HG+ brother who is 6. She is still not independently reading---flat out refuses to even try stating she is "too young". She is a wonderful artist, very verbal and has lots of physical talents. Last year her teachers told me that she was very advanced in math but unfortunately her older brother really skews my perspective of advanced--since she is no where near he was at the same age.

I think it will be an interesting year. I'm curious how learning to read will go for her since last year her teachers told me that they thought she was going to be like DS6 and never use phonics to learn either. DS6 was more of a whole word reader and learned spontanteously just as he was turning 4.

DD5 is also a lot more of a teacher pleaser and is very social. I could see her hiding her abilities in school if it made her different than her peers.

Let's all hope for a good school year for our K'ers.

Crisc