Originally Posted by GM5
GD is not getting anything different in class although her teacher has talked about having some additional (not more challenging) worksheets available for her since she finishes her work and gets bored waiting on the other kids. I don't know how much flexibility she has and the admin. won't even talk about it.
That is all quite frustrating. My DS5 has some behavior issues at school...my guess is about 90% of the time it is because the work is not appropriate, and the other 10% is that is a little more immature than his peers in some way. He skipped K and is in first so he is significantly younger than some of the kids and had never been in a full day setting until this year. Anyhow, for us behavior is completely linked to academics. thankfully I think our school is starting to get that...but there were times when it seemed like they just wanted to address the behaviors because those stick out a lot more. They have done a lot more for him in the classroom in regards to differentiation...but still the times when he acts out is usually during very simple worksheets that are several grade levels under what he should be doing. It's tough because they have done a lot already, so I am picking my battles but still keeping in contact with them about ways to make his work more appropriate for him.

I agree with grinity about the OT, the school should be able to do OT evals there, or you could go to an outside source. It does sound like that would be beneficial. I am a school social worker who used to be a child therapist who did a lot of play therapy. I still do but now since I work with 4 and 5yos, but now I am in the school setting. I do work with children that have OT issues more about managing intense feelings and expressing themselves in different ways to deal with their emotions. Also about ways to slow down, focus, etc. Play therapy can be very useful with children providing you have someone who knows what they are doing. But OT does completely different stuff for sensory integration. I would suggest looking into that as well.