Originally Posted by EastnWest
short replies. more later
1- true. when will you test? we will probably wait until closer to 6 yrs, late winter early spring.
2- we are on the wait list for charter public school that is very near current school. philosophy incorporates NVC (nonviolent communication) and borrows from montessori and waldorf they do not teach reading in K (but won't squelch a kid who is reading already). that is loooking very appealing right now. so much to learn about science,nature,culture etc. why emphasize reading, which I'd rather him do at his own pace anyway? more natural.
we are trying to move in the next few months. have alreay researched the situation where we are going. more on that later
3&4- me too! ha!

I'm debating about requesting that he be tested by the school in the fall instead of waiting until the spring. (He'll take the WISC when he turns 6 in the late spring with a private tester.)

The school only tests twice per year, giving kids the the WJ achievement and the Cogat. Part of me thinks that if the school fit is bad, it might actually hurt his scores, and I'd kind of like to see where he is with a more or less blank slate. Also, if he does have some sort of LD, I'd like to know about it sooner rather than later.

The danger is that I'll come off as pushy before the teacher has a chance to get to know him. DS8 was IDd as GT in the spring by his K teacher without my requesting testing, and that was a good situation.

I figured from a previous post that you were thinking of moving/planning to move. That sure throws a wrench in the works, I'll bet!

Kriston