We're there too, and I am anxious. DS5, who is a DYS, didn't get into either of our local HG schools (separate rant); so we're sending him to a public language immersion school. I've met a few other moms and kids who will be there, and it's a multinational/multilingual group, very cool -- the problem being that as best I can tell, none of the other kids are reading yet. DS is reading several grade levels up (math is not nearly as high). I've been told that other parents in our same boat have chosen that school, so we are hoping for the best. I bite my nails (figuratively) anyway. When the mom of a rising 1st grader told me not to worry about reading because the teachers work with all the kids to make sure they know their letter sounds by the end of kindergarten... well, that didn't help much. lol. Still: one of the teachers told me she had a student in a K/1 combo class last year doing 4th grade math. A good sign, surely? Anyway, I have not asked about grade skipping (probably futile anyway). I get the feeling that they want to evaluate him themselves before we talk about accomodations, which is reasonable. And maybe everything will be OK... after all, he can't read a word in the target language. They have an active chess club, so I've started teaching him chess and he LOVES it. And one of the children we met already speaks three languages (this will be #4), so I am ridiculously jealous of that and hoping that she'll be in his class.

Ack. I need to quit thinking about it. (Not gonna happen. ha ha)