Originally Posted by fred
You may even want to have him tested, even though he is young so that you know where you stand. Are you dealing with a gifted child, or a profoundly gifted child?

I hope that helps--but people told me he would be fine also and he is currently in a class room learning to read, bored out of his mind!

Thanks to everyone for all of the support! I was just feeling kinda alone "in the real world" - it is nice to have a place of understanding.

We had him tested a bit before his 4th birthday and he tested as HG. The tester felt that he'd likely score higher with a little maturity. We plan to test again soon because the new test scores will be just a little extra ammunition for the school advocacy. He's participating in EPGY and is working at the 3rd grade level in both math and language arts, so yes, I'm pretty sure he'd be bored in K or even the once-a-week pull-out.

Originally Posted by Grinity
Seems to me that if you are enjoying homeschooling, and can afford to continue for another year, what harm can there be to keep going? I'm also wondering what they provide for gifted 1st graders, if it's a self contained classroom, and they try to get similar LOG kids together, then that is something to look forward to.

I am enjoying homeschooling but I'm a little worried that another year at home (with his pacing), will put him so far out of the school league that he'll never be able to go back. His internal drive coupled with the time at home is a pace that a school could never match. (Is it sad that I want him to go to school to slow him down??)

Yes, the 1st grade programs we are hoping for are full-time gifted programs with fairly high IQ requirements (HG & PG). I was hoping this would allow him to have some true peers.

Once again, thanks everyone! It was exactly what I needed to hear.

Sorry about your DS, Jamie! I hope the IEP route works out.

Mom to DYS-DS6 & DS3