I have a DD5, that we homeschooled by default this year because her older brother is HS after attending K and 1st. She has a summer birthday and we only have full day kindergarten. She was emotionally a little weepy after preschool last year. Honestly, at the beginning of the year I didn't know if she was even GT or not. She is very intense and sensitive. And she was academically ahead of the average kindergartner, but not crazily so. She is a child that LOVES social outlets and also likes to push my buttons.

Anyway, it's become crystal clear that is more than a little gifted. And she has thrived homeschooling. She is screaming on reading and math to the point of I'm ready to toss the materials I'm using with her. She is showing very similar learning style to her brother (jumping grade levels in reading since fall). He jumped to at least 5th grade level in kindergarten after showing zero interest previous (although hindsight, I think he could read a little, and her too). I can now see her in a similar place by the end of the year. She's also 9 months younger than he was at this point in the year.

One thing I love about HS is the ability for kids of multiple ages to be friends. DD's best friend right now is 2 year older than her. She seems much more confident and secure than she did in preschool. Which maybe wasn't as great the 2nd year for her as I was hoping (some weird social dynamics with the girls that year).

Anyway for a kid I thought I might throw into school by October, we're doing great! I'm enjoying reading about other people's experiences.