So nice to hear everyone's updates.

As for ours: The year has gone pretty much as I expected with a few twists. As some of you know, DS6 was switched from one K class to a different one in Nov. so that he could be grouped for reading with another child who is also reading. Unfortunately, the reading group level is far below what the school tested him at. Frustrating for me, but it doesn't bother him a bit. He adjusted to the second classroom nicely and has made friends. He's also the farthest along in the class in math and the teacher apparently told him (rather than me, argh!) that he writes better than most first graders. Needless to say, my 2nd grader didn't like hearing that one. There's no question in my mind that he ought to have skipped a year academically, but our school's principal is vociferously against grade skipping. I started looking at private schools, but they are just so expensive and the one that seems the best fit is a bit of drive.

I just started a new job and don't have the time to continue to nag the school. So, I've dumped the school's homework for my own. He's happy and that's going to be enough for now. He'd tell you that his biggest accomplishment is that he has learned to dribble a basketball ;-) He's reading harder and harder books at home and I double check his comprehension. He's whizzing through Singapore Math Book 1B at home and says it's too easy. I'm still making him go through it though to make sure that he has all those basics down.

Next month, there's an open house and then testing for a grade 1 and 2 gifted magnet at a nearby school. I'll be applying. Fingers crossed that he gets in. Unfortunately, it's a combination of testing and lottery because so many families apply. The good news if he doesn't get into the magnet is that I really love the lead 1st grade teacher at our school. DS8 had her last year. When he asked for multiplication and no one else was doing it, she gave him a bunch of worksheets. She knows DS6 and has been checking in with me about him over the school year. So, I do think for at least 1st grade she'd give him something to challenge him and keep him moving forward.

Last edited by mom2twoboys; 01/13/10 08:23 PM.