Jamie B: Lots of hugs to you.

Okay, in terms of conference with the teacher today:

1. Tell her that you, too, are concerned about DS's behavior along with an I'm sure you've noticed this, too, but it seems he's having a really hard time during math, storytime and nap.

2. Ask for a trial run of giving him higher math independently during the math unit to see if that helps his behavior. Explain your theory that knowing your son, you believe he's acting out because he needs more of a challenge (I'd avoid the word "bored" b/c it sounds like she's boring.) Is there some of his math work outside of the classroom you can bring in to show what he's doing to help make your point? (If this works for a couple of weeks then it may be easier to make your case about first grade.)

3. Remind the teacher that the issue about naptime was known before he started school and the principal had assured you that he would have something else to do during that time. Come up with a plan of what that "something" is going to be from now on.

4. Document, document, document. It seems that the more I show directly DS's work, the more that teachers are believing me about his abilities (even if they are still taking baby steps, in my view). Send a follow-up to the teacher after the meeting thanking her and outlining what was agreed to.

5. I don't know if there's a way to implement something like this, but DS's teacher has a Buddy Bear. If a child has an issue, but circle time or whatever they are doing isn't the right time, then they leave a note in Buddy Bear and the teacher will read the notes and talk with them at the end of the day. Notes can be drawings or anything that gets their point across so that it isn't forgotten. My son won't use the thing to tell teacher when he's bored, but maybe yours would?

Finally, naptime? My county did away with that eons ago ;-)