Originally Posted by alli-cat10
Got an email from the teacher that DD4 is playing a lot by herself and that she does not like to play with other kids even when asked to do so. I asked DD about how she likes to play at school and she told me that she likes to play by herself because the other kids "mess up" her stuff and that she "gets more done" when she plays alone. She is very intense when she plays and seems to have a game plan. She seems happy and not lonely to me. Why is it that preferring to be alone is such a bad thing? If she is happy with it why can't her teacher be? Any thoughts or suggestions? Am I off here in my thinking?

Don't worry about it. There is nothing wrong with playing on her own as long as she is happy and not rude to the other kids. Not everybody is an extrovert and/or wants to be around other people.

At the last year PreK conference I got the same comments about DS5. I was surprised since he is an outgoing kid at least compare to his older brother, but truth to be told he prefers to play with older brother. As I am typing this he is having a great time with his 11 year old cousin. Anyway by the end of the school year he was one of the most popular kids having bunch of good friends.

LMom