Originally Posted by Jamie B
DSs gifted teacher called me today. She said she can't make the meeting on Monday but really wanted to talk to me. She said that she's been teaching gifted for over 30 years and has seen many gifted kids and that his problems with focusing are very troublesome. She said that she can't tell me to take him to a doctor but that if she were me she would. She didn't mention him jumping around and stuff like his teacher though. She said that the slightest thing makes him completely lose his train of thought. She said they were coloring a whale today and he had to get up three times to walk around so that he could focus again.

I think that I'll take him to another doctor. His pedi saw him but doesn't specialize in that so I guess I need another opinion. I've noticed it at home and I thought it was bad but he's my only child
hugs dear....i hAte those phone calls. Have you read Webb's Misdiagnosis and Dual Diagnosis book. I strongly reccomend that u read it before Mondays meeting if possible. There is a chapter on ADHD. I would also spend time afterschooling this week and see if the walking around continues when he is working inside his 'readiness level.' Does he get distracted even with u right there under every circumstance or just some circumstances. If you can go into the meeting knowing ur child as a learner then u will be in a stronger position to get their help. I wish I had advice for handling XH but I dont. What happens if u step back and ask the school to deal with him independently? As for the 30 years bit,dont let that impress u if you child happens to be at the more unusual levels of giftedness. Sorry but I've forgotten if ur son hit several ceilings on his testing. love and more love grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com