Alli-cat: I think the playing on their own is quite normal at times, providing they do things with peers at times. DS5 gets the same way at times. He is quite an outgoing kid...but if he doesn't like how others play he would probably rather play by himself. I worked with 4 & 5's the last couple years in schools and I have to say that's fairly common for kids that age. Anyhow, hopefully they will give it time and see that it's not really a problem. But I have to say that it is great they are communicating with you. That is always a great sign with schools ; )

EastnWest: Glad DS will have a friend in class. That stinks about all the extra stuff missing with the music and art, but I assume when he is in a full day program next year they will have that, right? I guess for now you can just get him involved in those things after school and in other places (like library music programs or other things like that).

Mom2twoboys: cursive? seriously? Hopefully that was a complete oversight and she will catch on quickly. ; )