Originally Posted by st pauli girl
I'm starting to remember how DS hated being asked things he already knew when he was younger. He would give silly answers instead. Maybe a bit of this is coming back.

I'm glad your DS's teachers are letting him opt-out of some things.

Why does this have to be so hard!?

Yes...DS did it very young too, when he was 3 and went to school. Then it stopped for a couple years and started up some more. He still usually answers the right answers, but I think when it is really basic he would just amuse himself. But I think with my DS too, he doesn't always answer things....sometimes sits there because he thinks the answer is obvious and doesn't even want to say it. sounding out words, etc. I could never imagine him raising his hand for something like "what sounds does A make?" or "what does Apple start with?" I have to say, with DS they more recently have allowed him to opt out of things as he has shown them more. So I really hope they can with your DS too as time goes on. Hopefully with your school it is that they just don't get him yet. For the first month or so they didn't get my DS either as he was acting out a lot. Thankfully now they are seeing the other parts of him too. But he still has to do some stuff that is clearly way under his level, but he deals with it.

Anyhow, I hope it gets easier and better for you!! You are in my thoughts : )