Originally Posted by Kareninminn
Originally Posted by Jamie B
Originally Posted by Kareninminn
I'm so glad to hear some of our kindergarteners are doing so well.

I'm feeling frustrated and have to remind myself this is only the second full week. As far as I can tell the teacher is unaware that he can read let alone that he can read at a much higher level. There was a fun event last week and when we went to play bingo she commented how it would be good practice for letters and numbers. I was rather shocked especially since this is the same teacher that I spoke with about his reading long before we enrolled in the school. I'm hoping it was just an auto response after a long week. The reason I chose the school and went with the all day program is because I believed they could differientiate, now I'm not so sure.

He has the NWEA testing this week and conferences not long after so I'm hoping to see how that goes and to learn something soon. He also does well at math although he's not as far ahead. I was also disappointed to learn there's no real science in kindergarten, this is my kid who loves science.

I do want to see what they say, my hope is that he can just skip kidnergarten reading and go to science in another grade. I feel at a total loss especially since I don't have an assessment, just my observations. DS loves school, like another posted mentioned he'll happily sit there and relearn something he's known for years. He has a hard time challenging himself, he always says he's not good at something, he gets frustrated with the learning stage.
Would the school board test him for gifted now?

I don't know if they'll test under any circumstance. It's a small charter and I don't know if they can. I'm considering private pay but would rather not go out of pocket for the first round. I could pull him and put him in the local public but I wasn't thrilled with what they did either, it's why I decided to try someplace like this.

It is possible they'll be able to handle it, I am impatient, it has been a worry for a long time and I want to get him in a position where he'll start to challenge himself.
My son was at a private school when the school board tested him. The private school wasn't able to test him on their own.