Kriston - I think it sounds like very good news! Especially the part about your son self-advocating and telling you he had a good day. But what I'm thinking the teacher was doing was differentiating in a pretty decent way. I have been told that teachers who are good at differentiating can do it without anyone else noticing it's happening. I think this is probably easier to do with reading/language arts than math, but I would take it as a sign that she noticed and is starting to do something about it. Hopefully, she will take it further and give your son more appropriate math in more substance. Or if she doesn't do this on her own, you can always chat with her about what your DS told you: "DS told me that you had given some multiplication in class, and he was really excited about it. I guess he's further along in math than I realized. Do you have any ideas about what to do for him?"

Oh - and I'm totally going to steal your well-thought out plan of discussing why, how and when to self-advocate. smile