Jamie B: It would make me wonder, too, ... the correlation between behavior and him being challenged. Does he have any "free" time in school, such as a center where the kids get to choose what to do? Maybe, if there is such a thing, you could leave something challenging for him in his backpack and then he'd have something to look forward to, even on the days his teacher isn't giving him the work he needs. Of course, ideally, teacher would, but ... sigh ... we all know THAT doesn't happen all the time.

Wolf: That's great that he knows himself enough to ask for harder work. That'll definitely serve him well!

As for my guy, he's supposed to move to his reading group starting Monday. It'll still be with one of the K teachers, but they are supposed to be meeting the kids in the group at their level. Fingers crossed it goes well. Unfortunately, our school won't even consider starting math acceleration till the second half of the school year. So, I'm just giving him the correct math work at home.