Originally Posted by Kriston
I like half-day K, absolutely! It can be a real lifesaver for a GT kid. Half a day of boredom is a lot more tolerable than a full day. I'm hoping that holds true for DS5...

So true. This year DS5 would have been starting K. It was half day in our district last year, but this year they went to full day. When they went to full day I knew he should go to first...but if it was half day, we probably would have done K and then skipped to second. We are having a meeting on Thursday in part due to DS5 acting out in his first grade class (talking out of turn, not raising his hand, not following directions). Nothing surprising I suppose based on how simple a lot of the stuff is, but it's hard because it's still not appropriate behavior. DS says he likes school (mostly lunch, recess, and gym), but he just started talking to me about how hard it is to sit through single digit addition and watching the teacher teach other kids how to read. He says that he hasn't even read in class yet. That's pretty sad because he really enjoys reading. Thankfully the psychologist who tested him will be coming to our meeting to advocate for his needs too. They have done no subject acceleration as they were waiting for behaviors to improve and wanted to wait a month for him to adjust to the routine. LOL, some people are well intended but just don't get it. Anyhow, I am thankful we will now have support through DYS and the psychologist/educational consultant that tested DS5 because I think we are going to need it.