Originally Posted by Kriston
E&W, I agree that if K is the "learn to read" year where you are (and your child is already reading), then you may have some trouble, depending upon the personality of your child. If not, if it's more like preschool, you'll probably be fine. no academics is better than the wrong academics.

See here is where I am confused. I completely get this....but then I wonder if it is a grade where they learn their letters and phonics then that would clearly be bad as well. It is all quite confusing. In our district, the do some basic level B reading I think by the end of the school year. I don't know if that is right, but some site words at least. I think first is when they really learn to read more and have spelling and such. My DS5 is skipping K and going to first. This was supposed to be K's first year of full day so I didn't see much of a point in having him there all day in K. If it was only a half day I may have considered it. But he is a PG kid that has been tested and is doing most things at least a 3rd/4th grade level. Some obviously less but some (such as reading) probably above a 4th grade level. We don't start school for another week and a half and while I feel like we made a better choice (not necessarily a good choice) I realize that neither setting would be ideal. I worry that he may get frustrated if he doesn't have as much playtime. He does tend to be a kid that acts out when bored...but does great if he is challenged or interested in anything. I guess I realize in school DS is going to start to realize how different he is...he hasn't just yet. And while I know he will still clearly see it in a first grade class I am hopeful it won't be quite as obvious as in a kindergarten. Maybe I am delusional, who knows? : )