Originally Posted by Jamie B
Well last week was a bad week. Bad, bad, bad. We got notes sent home every single day.

I do think that DS might have a touch of ADD but I'm still not sure. I attribute a lot of it to him being bored and to his mind running so fast with nothing to focus it on. I think that if he had more challenging work his brain would at least have something to focus on.

sorry Jamie! DS5 had a really rough week last week too. Friday was better and yesterday was even better so I would like to think that he is getting more used to the routine and is going to start following directions better. He tells me he is going to have a perfect day today. Who knows. He was excited in talking about school a lot yesterday. He did start getting ridiculous homework last night. We need to discuss this at his meeting. It is hard because I don't want him to be separated too much from the other kids...but do I allow him to do his 3 letter spelling words just because they are easy and he won't even have to look at them? I figured that writing his spelling words 3 times each at least gives him writing practice. Anyhow, I am hoping for a better week, and I am hoping that before this meeting he shows his teacher that he does know how to behave.

About what you said about the ADHD, there can be characteristics and your DS could have it...but I think it is really important to look at the distinguishing differences between ADHD and a child that is gifted that is just bored and acting out. I am absolutely sure my DS does not have ADHD...but I have seen times and circumstances where one could think he has ADHD. And he has definitely done ridiculous things that are impulsive at times (again mostly when bored). But these behaviors he as do occur at times where he is not stimulated. He doesn't get distracted easily when he is focused on things that are challenging. He does sit for long periods of times engaged in activities. He isn't generally hyperactive or impulsive, although he is 5 and gets silly sometimes. I would check out that book...I think it is called misdiagnosis of the gifted child or something. I used to have it but I lent it to someone and it is now gone. It is a good book and helps to see the difference between characteristics of something and an actual diagnosis. There is a big difference and it would be helpful for you know in order to best meet his needs. : )