Jamie B: glad to hear the principal FINALLY called you and am proud of you for holding your tongue! ;-)

JJsMom: That sounds wonderful. Speaking as someone who lives with a second-grader and a kindergartner, I wouldn't want to mix those two ages in a classroom either!

We had our P-T conferences yesterday. DS5's was a little odd b/c it was with his old teacher (he moves on Monday) so we couldn't talk at all about what happens next to challenge him. We did FINALLY find out his real reading assessment, which is about where I thought it would be (surprise, surprise). We were actually a bit surprised to find out that he scored perfectly in all the K AND 1st grade math testing for the first unit. It's times like these that I wish they'd take the testing as far as the child's understanding so that we'd have a clearer picture of what he's ready for next. Sigh. He's the kind of kid who observes and absorbs, so he'll suddenly say something that makes you turn your head and say, "when'd you learn that?" The one thing they listed as a weakness was his writing b/c he's so meticulous that he takes a long time to do the mechanics. Somehow, I'm sure his fingers will catch up with his perfectionist brain at some point in his life!