Jamie B - I feel for you. Hopefully if they follow through and give him some more challenging work, he may show his true self better and make them think again. It can be so frustrating dealing with school personnel who are set in their one-track thinking - when the kid acts "mature" (in other words, fits in their little box), they'll consider giving them more challenging work. I hear "she may be smart but ..." or "she needs to learn to cope with the boredom" or "her behavior is not typical for a Kindergartner". When will they face the facts that these kids are not typical and should not be shoved into a little box - they'll suffocate!

That said, we are willing to try to help GD learn to modify her behavior in class. It's just not easy to figure out how to do it. Hopefully the therapist can help us. She has good days and bad - today was bad although not the worse.

So your son has not been tested for reading level? Neither has GD although apparently some of the other K teachers have tested their classes. So far we have been given no modifications. I looked up the rest of the Math Curriculum for Kindergarten (it's online - Pearson) and GD already is proficient in all the material. She was reading at 3rd grade level or beyond a year ago - not sure where she stands now esp. as far as comprehension. But they won't test her to find out. They expect her to just listen attentively and act interested in the repetitive material. DD and I and GD all dread school for the most part now. GD won't even talk about her day although she does seem to like her friends. DD says she is realizing how different she is from all the other kids
now.

I would be willing to find another part-time job to pay for our local Gifted School - if she qualified and if they would accept her. Not sure if they want kids who have started out with bad school experiences. Also it's quite a distance and would limit her after school time - not sure how she would react. I guess it would depend on the in-school experience.

PM me anytime you want.

Sorry - didn't mean to go on so much about GD. Just wanted to empathize.