Originally Posted by shellymos
I wish school would start already to get the anxiety over. DS5 starts first on the 9th.

Me too!

Shellymos - I'm sorry your haven't heard from your teacher yet. That's irritating and certainly adds to the mounting stress of the unknown.

DH and I met with the teacher and the principal to discuss DS's "differences." We got a little bit of "Don't worry, we've had kids with scores like your DS's before." DH explained how the new tests compare with the old, then we got "Oh, then we've had one kid sort of like your DS who is now a college grad." It took us awhile to believe it, so I don't blame the folks at school for not getting it yet. Anyway, the teacher wants to meet DS before deciding what to do, which is fine, I guess. Also encouraging is that the focus does not appear to be mainly academic, but rather on learning to "do school." I think it will be OK.

DS and I went to the open house, and teacher had left mints on a note for each kid saying something like "Thanks for visting the school. It really 'mint' a lot to us." I thought "Yay, hooray!" A teacher who likes puns and word-play is going to be great for DS. (In fact, on the way out I said to DS, "That classroom looks really neat! He said, "I thought it was kind of messy." I started to explain what I meant, and he said "I know, mom, it was a joke, and if you say it seemed cool, I'll tell you it was warm.") The classroom is what one parent described as "every kindergartner's dream" -- raised castle stage area with pillows, piano, big lego table, lots of bins full of cool stuff.

And, on a happy side note, the nurse just told me that there is another kid in DS's room with peanut allergies. Yay! He's not the only one!

I might have to take out some of these details later, but will share for now. smile