Originally Posted by Val
Originally Posted by CourtneyB
My biggest issue - actually only issue, since he is learning to adjust to school and all - is homework. He still HAS to do the K homework, we also send in any completed 1st grade reading/math stuff we do as well but I hate that I have to make him sit and color --- he HATES to color.

You may want to consider doing it for him. I do this for my kids when the work becomes pointless. I see no point in making my kids miserable if their teacher hasn't thought something through properly.

I did some addition problems for my 7-year-old just last night. He was given something like 20 too-easy math problems to do and wasn't offered time to do them during after-school care. He also had a spelling test today and I felt that requiring him to do extra math at home after dinner and spelling wasn't reasonable. So I had him do a couple problems and said "Do this one. If you get it right, I'll do the rest." He did it, I did the rest, and everyone was happy.

NB I can imitate his handwriting.

Val

I do help him a bit - mostly though I can't color like him or write like him (that's the one part he NEEDS K for, lol). I coax him in by just telling him to just color this part or frequently we'll just write a sentence instead of drawing/coloring. He even did that in class the other day - he refused to 'pretend he was a fish' and draw something he would do. So he wrote instead 'I wood not be a fish' smile