Val asked, "Does anyone else's little one talk about grade-skips?"

As we were advocating for the grade skip, we hadn�t told DD what we were doing, just that the IQ and Achievement testing she had done was information for the school to use to put her in the class where she could learn best and that wherever they placed her was going to be great. (Even though we were totally against kindergarten placement.) When we told DD4 last week that she was placed in the first grade classroom, she responded with a big smile of relief and, �I was hoping that it wasn�t kindergarten. I was really hoping it was third grade � you know, the first, second, third grade classroom? � but first grade is really good too.� Big smile.

But since then she is excitedly telling everyone that she is starting school next week and she�s going to be in first grade. She�s not bragging about the skip because I don�t think she realizes that it�s an unusual thing to do. And most people that know her already know about our advocacy efforts. But I did have some cringeworthy moments yesterday when I took her for her back-to-school haircut and after her first grade announcement was asked how old she was. �Four and a half.� Suddenly we got looks from all around. I just gently deflected the questions and busied myself with DS1. ;-)

Ms Friz, the school entry cut-off date in our state is Dec. 2nd - about a quarter of incoming kindergartners are still 4. So DD is just in the young group for K. But you�re right that it�s not the usual � it took months of advocacy to get the grade skip approved by our public charter school. We would love to have the option of private, but in our area all the private schools are very religious and set in their traditional ways. We ended up choosing a charter school that is a 50 minute commute each way. I still don�t think I fully realize what we�ve got ourselves into � her preschool was � mile from our house and we couldn�t get there on time. LOL

The great commute starts tomorrow � wish us luck!

Last edited by Nikita; 08/18/09 07:16 AM.