I was concerned about the class size too. Do they not have parapros where your DS is, shellymos?

When looking for DS5's name on the teacher assignment sheets, I noticed a few of the K classes had longer lists than others. There are 7 K classes at his school, which sounds like a lot, but there are less than 800 kids total in the school, which is not much around our metro area. But having 7 K classes allows the school to keep really small class sizes. DS's class list was the second smallest, which I was EXTREMELY excited about. There are like 12 kids with a parapro too. It's not uncommon to find schools with 25 kids per class around here, and his pre-K class had 20 kids and 2 teachers. So at least he will not be overwhelmed in that aspect. I just hope he remembers to continue the progress he made with respecting the fact that not all the kids in his class will be at his level. In pre-K, he started out being that kid that blurted out all the answers and answering for other kids when they took too long or got things wrong... but his teachers were excellent, considering the limited amount of extra things they could give him, in giving him more responsibilities and challenges and helping him realize that everyone learns at a different rate, it's ok to get things wrong, etc...

I did find out that our county is now listed as "needs improvement" by the NCLB standards this year. Sadly, the county as a whole used to be the top rated in the state (way back when I was in school). DS's school is not a "failing" school at all, but because of this ranking, we have the ability to change him to any county school of our choice (as long as there is room now - after the registration/class assignments have been completed) without having to jump over mountains (i.e., reasons of "hardship" or the school itself being a failing school) to move DS if need be. I have heard wonderful things about the school in our district - at least the elementary school, but it's REALLY nice to know the option is out there!