Originally Posted by blob
True, don't let your child give up. But it doesn't have to happen in the shortest time possible in a continuous, punishing way. Try another method. Short term failure and making mistakes are among the best ways to learn - we should all take advantage of that!

Mistakes are very important for the learning process. My DD is a perfectionist and comes from a mother whose a perfectionist. I really feel for her sometimes because I find myself demanding when I'm at my wit's end. I have the tendencies to go the direction the author of the posted article describes but thank goodness I haven't been that bad. I also know I don't want to be that way and it has been a learning process for myself. This said ... I'm still trying to figure out how to help DD with her perfectionism WITHOUT drawing a line in the sand. But back to mistakes: for my perfectionist daughter I find mistakes necessary and almost god sent. If I'm being honest ... mistakes for both of us is a great thing. It builds character and helps teach us that no one is perfect and perfectionism is a dream state that does not truly exist.