Originally Posted by bianc850a
My dd10 is in a robotics team. During competition season they work upwards of 20-25 hrs a week. Sometimes 8-10 hours straight. The kids, however, don't see this as work. When it is time to go, they don't want to. I think this is what an extra-curricular activity should be like. It should be hard work, challenging, but also bring them joy and not feel like a punishment. There are so many things that can provide challenge and teach perseverance, why not let them choose how they learn those lessons?

I think that's awesome. But I would also say, you have a pretty self motivated child. My 10 year old would absolutely LOVE to be on a robotics team. He plays with robotics for fun. If I told him the team was a 20 hour a week commitment he would say forget it. If for the first month, I provided support, encouragement, snacks and told him to just hang in there for 4-6 weeks, he would most likely get over the hump and grow to love it. And if he didn't, I'd let him quit.

I just think every kid is different and every parent needs to know their own kids strengths and weaknesses.