Originally Posted by ColinsMum
I see helping him through that intermittent reluctance as just part of parenting, and something that's useful when I need something to remind him that hard work isn't always fun but does pay off.

I see a big difference between force and supporting a child to achieve her goals. Force is: you can't quit, you will be lazy if you don't work harder on this, until you stop saying it is hard you aren't allowed to quit, etc.

Supporting can come in other forms such as: encouraging the student to talk to the teacher about what is frustrating them, providing a home environment that supports practice - time in the daily schedule and a quiet place to practice, offering to be an audience or cheerleader, offering encouraging words, reminding the student of their goals. Most of all I would encourage parents to talk with the student's teachers when something isn't working and let the teacher problem solve with the student. Some teachers are better than others at teaching effective practice skills. It isn't just time on task but knowing how to keep engaged with really listening to yourself and knowing how to improve.