You are right that Suzuki does require parental involvement--which is one of the reasons we avoided it here (ETA: I don't mean that Suzuki is bad, not at all, I just know myself well enough to know that that could have been a problem for me personally). I am a professional musician, and music is important enough to me that I wanted not to be inserted in between my kids and their experience of music. I was really happy that when my lads decided they'd like to have some lessons, they chose instruments (strings, brass) I don't play, and styles (blues, bluegrass, Celtic) far from that which I play, too. That way, what they are doing belongs to them, which I love--and we have fabulous spontaneous jam sessions! I also like that they have good collaborative relationships with other adults, and that I am very much on the sideline with regard to those relationships.

If your son were interested, could he explore some other styles--maybe jazz, and learn a little about improv?--or early music (he could be the only sackbut or krummhorn player in his whole school!), or some kind of world music (explore the music of a country he finds particularly fascinating?), or fife-and-drum music (and maybe get together with re-enactors)? Are there some teachers around your location who might have expertise in these areas?

The best thing of all, if he wants to, might be singing--I think part of the problem with practising many other instruments, and certainly piano, is that you are tied to a single physical location, and kids need to move--the voice is our first and best and most portable instrument, and is uniquely our own, in a very personal and wonderful way. Singing is a great way to reconnect with the joy and fun that should be part of all music-making.

Hope that helps a little--

peace
minnie

Last edited by minniemarx; 12/27/10 05:52 PM.