I could go either way on this depending on how you look at our situation and decisions.

I make my DS7 take gymnastics. It is the only thing that is a struggle for him, the only thing in his life he has to actually work for and the only thing that he can't just watch once and figure out. I know you all know this isn't a brag, but something that often happens with our kids.

He complains heavily after each class about how hard it is. He sometimes cries in class and his coach totally ignores him, giving his whining no attention (at my direction). All the other moms look at me like I am the meanest, pushiest parent. I have told him that if he can go to class for a whole month without saying "I can't do it, it's too hard" then he can stop. It's been 7 months. He just tested out of his first level last week and is moving on to a new class.

I think the difference may be that I am not in any way personally vested in his gymnastics. I would trade it out for something equally as challenging that caused him to reach that point of "I can't" and then persevere. We just happened to stumble upon this one thing.

I have let him quit plenty of other things but forced him to finish the class, season or whatever other "chunk" of time it was divided into.