Wow! What an intensely passionate and interesting thread! I am so impressed by all of you with your passion and instincts about raising your own unique kids and what is best for them. I feel like somehow I didn't get that gene tells you firmly what to do for your child to ensure the best outcome. I just muddled through the best I could with no real sense of certainty that I was making the right decisions or using the right reasoning.

Reading this thread though really emphasizes to me how different kids are and how many different approaches may be effective. I really think the most important thing is that we make sure our kids know how much we love them for the unique person that they are, not what they do or accomplish.

As for digital detox, I tried it once or twice (perhaps too late) with very negative consequences. I was unaware at the time that my DD had a lifeline of online friends from around the globe that got her when no one in her school did. What a dilemma raising a highly gifted kid can be, you never know (at least I don't) when they are manipulating you or really honestly telling you what they need to survive.

I have to say, I really don't think longer school days are the simple answer for everyone: my DD could learn in 20 minutes what her school taught in a day, and I think the compulsory 8 hours of boredom has stifled her lust for learning. Maybe structuring the lower grades more like college - where kids could test into the class of their ability level for each subject regardless of age would help us be more competitive globally?