Dear Jane smith, I'm so sorry to hear about the possible divorce. That is truly a big let down, even if it's better. Here's just another opinion. Maybe not even a modern or a popular one. I hope I'm not twisting what I'm learning through the nurtured heart approach, but when circumstances change kids start probing every limit around looking for something stable. You see where I'm going with this. Get yourself togeather and decide how you're going to take leadership in your family. You've got a lot on your plate right now. It's not wrong for you to be in charge of your children. It could be wrong at times when you're out of line. How much experimenting are you going to give your kid's freedom to try when they are teenagers? How can you root yourself and establish a workable relationship right now that will see you through that? I know that statement will bring out people's views and what worked for them. You know how they have been raised so far. You're going to (possibly, sorry) be a single mother with teenage boys. You're going to want for them to trust your judgement. Not to add more weight to this piano decision, but that's what I'm seeing. Also you really want to comfort them, right now especially. So yeah, making it easy on them is not a bad idea. Then you can stick with it. Keep consistent. And not be in the role of a bully. Is it still a lesson if he plays by ear along with the cd for the entire time assigned?

Youth lives by personality, age lives by calculation. -- Aristotle on a calendar